Thursday, January 22, 2009

GIRLS & THEIR DOLLS

GIRLS & THEIR DOLLS
I am a long time doll lover. As a child my mother use to take me to a place called Shirley's Dollhouse. It was there that I was able to pick out my first doll. I had been given dolls before that, but my first time picking out my own doll was a big deal. I can still remember how crowded that shop was, and what a tough decision it was for a little girl to choose one lovely doll or another lovely doll. As I grew older I added many dolls to my collection. One in particular I found in my mother's old store, that she used for a display. I remember asking how much it cost & returned the next day with all the pennies I could find.
What is our strange bond to our dolls? We name them, we take care of them, and even today its hard for me to just shove them in a box in storage.
This Photo captures a girls love for dolls. It shows them playing with them, talking about them & to them. The picture at the top in a way illuminates the human nature of the dolls.
Funny, I can remember taking "wedding photos"of my barbies marriages (don't even get me started on barbies!!). This collection of photos is from an excellent photographer named Allen J De Lay. He worked for the Oregonian Newspaper in Portland, Oregon. Chatham Ho Store is featuring many of his photos if you want to see more or buy these :) Its a great feeling to sell work from a photographer, the quality of the work is so high & so unique. enjoy! Jjay

Publish Post

2 comments:

catherine simms said...

in the top picture of the dolls..the doll on the far left is one that i had..i used her as the mom to my barbies..
ahhhhh love those dolls!
smile

Cathi said...

Really? is she still around? Is that why she is so familiar?

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation