Friday, October 23, 2009

When a photo is like a piece of art...........

When I was a little girl, my mother would make our family travel from Chicago once a year to St. Joseph, Missouri to visit an elderly lady named Millie. Now, Millie was no relation really to my mother, but since all my mom's family was gone..this woman filled in, like an elderly aunt. And my mother loved her.

Now Millie had no children...and her home was FILLED with antiques...I was not to touch ANYTHING..which was always hard when I went to visit her. So I was made to sit very carefully on the couch in her living room....while Millie told stories and poured us tea and spent special time with mom. (My brother and dad were always back at the hotel..)

In her beautiful living room, there hung a large portrait of Millie as a young ingenue. She had a beautiful dress on (much like this photograph) and I would look at it for what seemed like hours...behaving in this very beautiful...but delicate home. As years went by..I always came back to see Millie's portrait...and the last time I saw her, she retold the story of her "coming out party" and the gown she wore.

After Millie died, the portrait was given to the historical society...but I never forgot that fashion

Then, the other day...I found this photo....it is simply beautiful in person..and although the woman was much older than Millie in the painting..the style was just like the one that I had memorized so long ago.......

Although this is not a painting the photography on this is so soft and so beautiful..it is like an art piece......

wow...I love old images..................


Cathi

No comments:

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation