Saturday, October 10, 2009

to be a fairy princess....

Did you ever want to be a fairy princess for Halloween?

On Halloween, when I was a little girl, every year in our town we would have a costume contest and there were prizes!...so all the children came out for it.... Each year I would dream for weeks of winning the prize. But my mother couldn't sew.. so each year at the last minute she would pull out an old clown costume she bought somewhere and MADE me wear it. I had to wear it EVERY YEAR and I hated clowns and I never won....

I would look at the other children that would win and wish i had fancy costumes like them... and I would dream that one day I would get a special costume......and maybe i would be a fairy princess...but i would be the most beautiful fairy princess ever........

So, of course...when I had girls...I vowed I would make them costumes that they would win 1st place..no matter what!

Each year, my costumes were elaborate...i would spend a fortune at the fabric stores just to make something no one else would have..
and of course i would have to design my own costumes...taking apart patterns so that over the years my kids were everything from
egyptians to japanese, from cabbage patch kids to money ladies, there was even a year i made them all shoes...you name it... every costume was so over the top...i was competing year after year to win the prize....

only there were no costume contests ....so there were no prizes...

Finally one year, my kids could tell by the gleam in my eye that halloween would soon be there and the annual trip to the fabric store would begin....
and they all ganged up on me....and said...

MOM ! CANT WE JUST BE FAIRY PRINCESSES
JUST NORMAL FAIRY PRINCESSES
PLEASE!

CANT WE PLEASE GO TO A STORE AND BUY A COSTUME!! AND JUST BE FAIRY PRINCESSES?

well of course i did go to a store...and bought dresses...and added a lot of trim...and a bit more sparkle..........well...you know....they still had to be the BEST most BEAUTIFUL fairy princesses every....


~I came upon this photo the other day...
(it is even better in person one of my favorites!)

and I remembered Halloweens of years ago.....and every girls inner dream......to be a fairy princess.....

happy october...
cathi

3 comments:

Sandra said...

too funny Cathi, my mom did not sew and had picked up a second hand clown costume; I believe at the goodwill. I do not like clowns and I had to wear the Clown costume every year too! Boo Hoo!!!

hb said...

oh sandra...think of you ALL THE TIME...quite a year..!
i do hope you are processing and taking time for yourself..
i have now connected with so many old friends of my moms..it is comforting..
remember this is a season you just have to take the time ....
love to you!!!
cathi

Cathi said...

hi sandra..

sorry...
my daughter had this account signed in on HER NAME!!
this is me..cathi..and i posted the above note..

take care you....
the year anniversary is coming upon us...
cathi

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation